A Long List Of Accomplishments
‘[T]he Coast Guard Legislation Was Just The Very Latest Installment In A Long List Of Bipartisan Successes Passed By This Senate’
SENATE MAJORITY LEADER MITCH McCONNELL (R-KY): “[This week], we passed legislation to reauthorize the Coast Guard by an overwhelming bipartisan majority. The Senate took action to reaffirm the critical security, interdiction, and rescue missions that keep Americans safe, and to streamline duplicative regulations at the same time. The provision to clarify the regulation of vessel incidental discharge delivered a much-needed victory for the communities and small maritime businesses, including so many in my state of Kentucky, that rely on America’s inland waterways for livelihood.” (Sen. McConnell, Remarks, 11/15/2018)
- SEN. McCONNELL: “[T]he Coast Guard legislation was just the very latest installment in a long list of bipartisan successes passed by this Senate, in this Congress, on behalf of the American people…. [T]he Senate has proven to be fertile soil for bipartisan work. It’s made life better for the American people in tangible ways. We should all take real pride in this. And we’ll need to keep up this momentum for the remainder of this year, as we consider more legislation and confirm more nominees. And we will need it throughout the next Congress.” (Sen. McConnell, Remarks, 11/15/2018)
Accomplishments Of The 115th Congress Include:
- COAST GUARD REAUTHORIZATION: Improved the U.S Coast Guard’s capabilities, equipping it for current and future missions. Reformed and simplified vessel incidental discharge regulations to streamline commerce on America’s waterways.
- WATER INFRASTRUCTURE: Answered President Trump’s call to address the nation’s water infrastructure by authorizing the Army Corps to construct, expedite, modify, or study more than 100 water resource projects - that will grow the economy, cut red tape, and keep communities safe.
- TAX REFORM: Reformed America’s tax code for the first time in 31 years - putting more money in the pockets of American families and creating more opportunity for them and their children.
- TRANSFORMING THE COURTS: Confirmed President Trump’s judicial nominees at a historic pace –69 total, including Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court, 26 circuit judges, and 41 district court judges.
- APPROPRIATIONS: Provided certainty to the American people with a restored regular order appropriations process by passing 9 of 12 appropriations bills through the Senate and sending 5 of those bills to the President’s desk – enacting the most on-time appropriations bills in 22 years and funding 75% of the government on schedule.
- FAA BILL: Passed a five-year authorization bill to modernize airport infrastructure, improve service for the flying public, enhance transportation safety and security, and boost aviation industry innovation.
- LANDMARK OPIOID LEGISLATION: Combatting the nation’s worst public health crisis with a package of proposals, including stopping fentanyl at the border and spurring development of new non-addictive painkillers.
- FUNDING TO COMBAT OPIOID ABUSE: Enacted ‘a multibillion-dollar boost’ to combat a nationwide epidemic.
- DRUG PRICE TRANSPARENCY: Passed legislation to ban the use of “gag clauses,” an industry practice that concealed lower prescription drug prices from patients at the pharmacy and caused consumers to needlessly overpay.
- FARM BILL: Working to provide farmers and ranchers with the certainty and predictability they deserve with Senate passage of a critical Farm bill.
- DEFENSE: Restoring America’s defense with the greatest investment in the military in decades, including the largest troop pay raise in nearly ten years, to help further modernize the U.S. military.
- VETERANS: Delivered real reform and real choice to American veterans with the VA MISSION Act, modernized the veterans appeals process, reformed G.I. bill benefits and further improved VA accountability. Also provided the largest funding increase in history for veterans care and services, and to modernize the VA’s electronic health record system.
- SAFE MEDICATIONS: Reauthorized the FDA programs that ensure safe and effective medications can help patients by getting to market.
- REGULATORY REFORM: Used Congressional Review Act (CRA) a record-setting 16 times to roll back Obama-era regulations.
- EDUCATING AMERICA’S WORKFORCE: Enacted a law to provide better education and training to help expand career opportunities for American workers.
- ENERGY: Opened one of the largest untapped conventional oilfields in North America, in Alaska, to help keep energy affordable.
- BANKING REFORM: Provided Main Street borrowers and lenders relief from burdensome Dodd-Frank red tape for the first time.
- HOPE FOR THE TERMINALLY ILL: Provided terminally ill patients access to experimental treatments (Right to Try legislation).
- FIGHTING SEX TRAFFICKING: Enacted the Stop Enabling Sex Trafficking Act (SESTA) to combat trafficking.
- OBAMACARE: Repealed the individual mandate tax that forced Americans to buy something many didn’t want or couldn’t afford, and ended IPAB.
- FIGHTING TERRORISM: Enacted the Taylor Force Act to disincentivize payments to terrorists.
- SANCTIONS: Imposed on Iran, Russia, and North Korea.
- REINING IN THE REGULATORS: Changed the balance of numerous boards and commissions from Democrat to Republican control, including the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- HEALTHCARE FOR CHILDREN: Enacted the longest S-CHIP extension in history.
- SCHOOL SAFETY: Enacted Fix NICS and STOP School Violence Act to help protect America’s children from gun violence.
SENATE REPUBLICAN COMMUNICATIONS CENTER
Related Issues: Congressional Review Act, Appropriations, Regulations, Infrastructure, Veterans, Farm Bill, North Korea, Iran, Combating Sex Trafficking, Tax Reform, America's Military, Health Care, Energy, Education, FAA, National Security, Taxes, Judicial Nominations